Last night I installed kUbuntu on Khaine, and it mostly went well.
A couple of snags were hit, but with the right blessings of the Omnissiah and incense to soothe the Machine's spirit all was soon well and I was booting into a new and strange Operating system.
Unlike last time I tried Ubuntu, Nvidia had provided a fairly simply way of enabling Dual-Monitor output. Getting it to save the configuration changes were a different matter as I had to run the program as root and there was no obvious way of doing that.
Coming from Windows I'm used to holding Shift + Right Clicking when I need to do something with elevated credentials.
Never mind though, ridding the galaxy of Xenos, Mutants and Heretics is a journey, not a destination and with the help of digitalangel I managed to overcome this obstacle as well.
Ok, that's an exaggeration, she told me step by step what to do :-D
A couple of reboots later, and Ubuntu is now stretched across two monitors.
A nice thing about Linux is of course the sheer amount of free software available and I was soon on MSN again courtesy of Pidgin.
I found a couple of Solitaire clients which I'll be trying out later ^_^
Firefox has all my usual add ons installed so the most important things have been taken care off.
Now we come to the 'To Do List' for the evening:
1) Install VMWare
2) Find an e-mail client that allows IMAP access to Hotmail
3) Figure out how to mount additional hard drives!!! (I may have solved this one...)
4) Figure out how to 'map'/connect to network shares so they are always there when I log in!!!
5) Find a decent WinAmp replacement
6) Find a good video player (I'm guessing VLC will be the choice here)
7) Go to the gym
8) Make a big tasty burger
9) Eat a big tasty burger
10) Paint either some Tau or a Razorback